Monday, March 17, 2008

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig


Pionta Guinness, le do thoil!! Aye, 'tis Saint Paddy's day. For those of you who don't know, my given name is Theresa Adele Murphy. My great-great grandfather was an immigrant. My grandfather was a migrant worker, and died when my father was a small boy. Unfortunately, "Murphy" is the Irish equivalent of "Smith" or "Jones". The clan name "Murphy" has two mottos. The first is "Fortes et Hospitatis", which means "strong and hospitable". The lesser motto is "To conquer rather than die." Hard-headed, we are. And did you know that March is Irish Heritage Month? It is! Most Americans are not aware of the huge role that Irish immigrants have played in the history of our country. I won't give you a history lesson here, but the History Channel has some great things going on this month regarding the Irish. Here is one factoid for you. Most of us here regard (or did so when we were younger) St. Patrick's Day as a drinking holiday, HOWEVER, in Ireland it is traditionally a sober, religious holiday and until very recently, pubs were forbidden to be open on March 17.

I'll be back later with beady stuff. I may go check the History Channel to see what's on. I leave you with this thought:
As you slide down the banisters of life may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Slán agus beannacht leat!

0 comments: