Monday, December 3, 2007

The Fan Club Blues

Let's reminisce. First, I'm going to pretend that we are all the same age, which means you remember how your mother cried when President Kennedy was shot, you had a shoop-shoop hula hoop, you watched men walk on the moon and you know the words to all the songs the Monkees sang. Oh, and you remember when David Cassidy was . . . , well *sigh*, you know.

And if you remember that, you remember the teen fan mags. And how you could send your dues in to the fan club of your choice. And you could write fan letters. Did you ever write a letter to your secret crush? You don't have to answer that. It's the next part that is important.

Did the object of your adoration write back? The good manners that our mothers taught us back then dictated some sort of reply. Emily Post said so.

And I hear you asking, "T! Why on earth are you writing about the '60s? Did you get lost in a time warp?? Are you having Partridge Family bus flashbacks?" Nope, nope, nope. Look back up there at the part that is important.

Several months ago I sent an email to a fellow beadwork artist. I told her how I have admired her work for several years. I also told her that she was a big inspiration to me when I decided to apply to art shows. And I told her that it was her work that made me realize that I can be well paid for the pieces that I create. I also asked her a few questions about her experiences with art shows. I figured that since she is 1,000 miles away she wouldn't feel threatened by any sort of competition, even if she considered me in her league of talent. Do you know she never replied?? This is a professional, who has been published in Beadwork Magazine, who wins awards at art shows, has pieces in museums and galleries, yet she did not have the good grace to send back a reply. How rude! Even if the reply was "go blow it out your ass" there should have been something, right? Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect her to spill all her secrets, but the questions I asked were not along the lines of "I'm thinking of doing this, too. Can you tell me how to get started?" (and those of you who know me well, also know how much I detest that line of questioning). I had already gotten started, I had already had several large sales. I just asked a couple of questions along the lines of categorization of the art form. Again, how rude of her not to answer!

So, I promise, if you ask me questions like that, I will respond, even if it is to tell you to go blow it out your ass. However (BIG HOWEVER), if you come to me and ask "I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Can you tell me how to get started?", I will hunt you down like the mangy cur that you are. I will spill and mix all your beads, I will tangle your beading thread, and I will bend all of your beading needles. And then I will make a bonfire of all your beading magazines and books. Are we clear? Good. Have a nice day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Artist:Bangles
Song:Manic Monday)

....It's just another manic Monday
I wish it was Sunday
'Cause that's my funday
An I-don't-have-to-run day
It's just another manic Monday...

I hope you have a better Tuesday.

(Artist:Tuesdays
Song:Tuesday Afternoon)

Darlin it´s time to wake up
and just listen to the tender tune
those little songbirds sing
Take care of that sound,
put it in your heart
paint a picture forever of a day like this...

See, a song for everything!!
; )
Clara

Bead-Mused said...

Ah, sweet Clara. Find me a song for lack of manners and I'll believe you! LOL

T

Anonymous said...

Okay... Challenge accepted!!!

Artist: Sahara Hotnights
Lyrics: No Big Deal

Now I'm gonna let it show
You've got me down
But I won't stay low
I'll make my point
I'll rub it in
I'll watch you slip out of your skin

You're no big deal
Out of style and out of class
Know what I mean
Your name will never last

I can't wait 'til I get back
Into action and attack
Doesn't matter what you say
Hey, what's your mission anyway

You're so afraid of losing it
But you're more afraid of showing it
No good manners, no social skills
Just vanity and overkill


Hiii,Hiii,Ha... Ha,ha... muahahahaha....

Artist: ????
Song:Violet Beauregarde Song

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompeda dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me.....

Oompa loompa doompety da
Given good manners you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do...


Now do you believe me...
The first one is kinda obscure, but the Oompa Loompa's say it best.

Happy Tuesday!!!
Clara

Bead-Mused said...

You win!! You win!! OMG, not just one, but two songs about bad manners. I bow to you, oh Muse of the Appropriate Song!!

T

Anonymous said...

I'll accept the title, since Goddess of All Things Beady is already taken ; )

Clara

Margot Potter said...

It's funny because I'm on the other side of this coin, I get barraged with emails and sometimes it's hard to get to all of them. It just may be that she's so busy, she hasn't had time to respond. If I don't email people right back, the emails get lost in my inbox. I get so many in any given day it's insane. Top that with deadlines and work piles that grow exponentially and often I don't have time to get back to my own friends and family let alone fans or folks I don't know.

So...maybe...she isn't ignoring you. Maybe she's just insanely busy or maybe she didn't get your message? You could always email her again. Those teen idols had personal assistants to write to fans. I so need a personal assistant!

It's just a thought. She may not be being rude at all.

Cheers,
Margot

Bead-Mused said...

Yes, Margot, I did keep that in mind. I wrote to her about this time last year, which is her down time as far as shows are concerned. And I do know that she has someone who handles her mail for her (wouldn't that be nice?). I try so hard to give people the benefit of the doubt, but after a year I have to believe she just didn't want to be bothered by little ole me. But it's okay. I still admire her work, I am still in awe at the sheer number of awards she wins. And maybe she does it simply by not answering email! But I refuse to be that way UNLESS the verbotten line of questioning comes into play.

I hope this week is better for you, babe!
Theresa