Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Insomnia, Insomnia, Insomnia

If you say it over and over, it's almost hypnotic -- insomnia. It could almost be a mantra -- insomnia. It's like the words to a song (with BIG apologies to Def Leppard):

"Oh, I got insomnia, insomnia
Oh can you feel it, do you believe it?
It's such a horrible insomnia
Insomnia
(insomnia)
Insomnia
(when you get that feelin)
You better believe it!
(better try sleepin')
Cos it'd be a miracle, if I could sleep
Oh babe, you say you will
(rock me to sleep)
Start rockin' baby
(oh)
Baby
(oh)
Snore
(snore)
Snore
(CRAP)
No snores for me"

Crapola, I haven't had more than 12 hours total over the past three nights and it's starting to show. Many, many years ago Steve Martin (he's so dreamy to me because he's so friggin' intelligent!) was on David Letterman. It was probably during the height of his stand-up popularity and he came out with these tiny paper bags taped under his eyes. When Letterman asked about them, Steve burst into tears and went on about how tired he was and how he hadn't gotten any sleep and it caused the bags under his eyes and the makeup department couldn't hide them. Well, today I have those very same bags.

It would be different if I hadn't gotten sleep because I drove nine hours straight through to Alpine right after T-man got home from work, or we drove 20 hours straight through to Pennsylvania, or (here's the big one) I was driving straight through to a bead retreat in Napa Valley (someday, kids, someday). I can handle that type of staying awake. Remember when we were younger and pulling an all nighter (for whatever reason) was NOTHING?? We even got up the next day and stumbled to class, even if class wasn't until 1:00. I won't be able to get a nap today either, because I must go to COSTCO (say that with an echo to get the full effect). Yes, it's grocery day. I'll clear some more stuff out of the living room and try to bead a bit tonight and probably head to bed around 8:00.

Back to yesterday's topic of lifestyle changes for 2008. Don't laugh too hard when you read this one, okay?. One of the big things I want to change (drum roll please) is to start getting up earlier. Yep, yep, yep, the insomniac wants to cut her sleep time even more!!! There you go. That's what I leave you with today. I want to become an early riser. That and the fact that there is no Steve Martin fansite and I can be the first to register one on Rotten Tomatoes. Hmmm . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side. A song for Eeeeeverything.

:)

Clara

Bead-Mused said...

Even if I have to make up the lyrics myself! LOL!

hugs
T

Anonymous said...

Absolutely.... hii,hiii,hii,haa,ha,haah! I've been known to "embelish" the lyrics to songs, and on occasion, create lyrics to instrumental songs. My 15 year old niece has yet to discover that "Reveille" has no official lyrics, and if it did, they wouldn't be "don't wanna get up, don't wanna get up".
:0)
Clara

Bead-Mused said...

You and T-man, only all of his made up lyrics have "frog" in them, but that's another story for another day.

What do you mean "don't wanna get up" are not the real words to "Reveille"??? I certainly thought they were!

T